On February 9th a radicalized M*slim tribe rose up against anything representing Christianity in their tribal area. Thirteen Christian churches were either burned or the inside furnishings smashed to pieces. A Christian elementary school in conjunction with the largest church was completely destroyed. Two church leaders were beaten so severely they were transported to a major medical facility for treatment. We are told they will need to be there for some time. We received these photos this morning from our staff in Ethiopia.
This is a call to pray for the “H” town and “H” people in all the surrounding areas, especially those professing Christ.
NewLife Ethiopia, in conjunction with Watch and Pray in Ethiopia and Steadfast Global in Scotland, have put feet to evangelical work among this people group of about 500,000 H**aba tribesmen. It has been a tough assignment with just a trickle of new believers. (The churches in the area are for those outside the tribe who live there and are Christ-followers. The H**aba tribe itself has few believers.)
In the past several months a new strategy was implemented to leverage greater reach and better outcomes among this small, unreached group of people. (Read more here) Our area evangelism coordinator was a major target during the recent rampage, hiding out in various places, fearful they might turn on his family. Thankfully they did not. As you can surmise from the violence that just took place, it is a dangerous place for a M*slim to convert. Please pray specifically:
1 John 4:28 “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear …”
- Pray against fear for missionaries and converts.
- Pray for the salvation of the H**aba people.
- Ask God to give the missionaries continued boldness in the face of persecution.
Hebrews 12:15 “See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.”
- Pray for the spirit of forgiveness to be increased among the Christ-followers in this area. Give them a supernatural love for their oppressors.
Philippians 1:12 “What has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel”
- Pray for the ability and confidence to rebuild the destroyed church buildings. “For the sake of Your great Name, strengthen Your church that suffers persecution.”
- Pray for doors to open for our missionaries to share God’s mercy, love and forgiveness; that God would open those doors by speaking directly through dreams and visions to those He is drawing.
Lord, have mercy!
- Pray for complete physical healing for the two church leaders and others caught up in the violence. Ask for provision for their hospital stay and support for the families.
God rules the world by the prayers of His saints; that prayer is the power by which Satan is conquered.
Would you like to help?
Meet emergency needs during this crisis – any amount
Support a missionary working in this tribal area @ $75/month