Have you heard about the Advent Conspiracy? You’ll want to be sure to check out their website. Their Christmas mandate is:
Because I can’t say it any better than this, I’ll give you the Advent Conspiracy challenge, written in their own words.
The story of Christ’s birth is a story of promise, hope, and a revolutionary love.
So, what happened?
What was once a time to celebrate the birth of a Savior has somehow turned into a season of stress, traffic jams, and shopping lists.
And when it’s all over, many of us are left with presents to return, looming debt that will take months to pay off, and this empty feeling of missed purpose.
Is this what we really want out of Christmas?
What if Christmas became a world-changing event again?
Last year right before Christmas, Adoption Ministry of YWAM published a Gift Catalog and I have to say, the response was incredible! Many people chose to give a gift to a child or a family in Ethiopia in the name of one of their family members or loved ones. We had the privilege of delivering goats, donkeys, soccer balls, water filters and many other life-changing items. I only wish these generous people could have been on hand to see the happy recipients as their gifts were presented. Here in the U.S. we can hardly imagine how much these gifts – that seem so simple to us – mean to a very poor family in Ethiopia.
I hope many of you will use our Gift Catalog for some of your Christmas shopping this year! It’s not too early to think about what you’d like your Christmas giving to look like and to let us know how you’d like to help. There are some new items in this year’s catalog – be sure to check it out by clicking on the goat button below!
In addition, I want to mention a few things that have come up since we published the catalog. Each of these would be a huge blessing to many in Ethiopia and to this ministry:
- There is a great need for 13 bicycles to be used in the village of Gutumuma. One bicycle costs $100. (More on this in my next post – you won’t want to miss Joy’s story from Gutumuma!!)
- We have a great need for a vehicle for the Widows & Orphans Home in Adama. Tezera, our orphanage director, has already taken the class and the exam to get a driver’s license because, in faith, she is asking God for transportation and she says “I will be ready when He supplies!” In our new facility, this is CRITICAL! We have $8000 saved so far and it will take about $20,000 – $30,000. (Hard to believe it costs that much but vehicles are shipped into the country – thus the high cost.)
- chairs for the widows to sit in when we open our new facility
- plants for the open air courtyard as well as the outside of the building
- large dining room table and chairs for the dining room
For the orphanage in Dembidollo we need:
- two water tanks
One 10,000 liter tank (about 2600 gallons) costs $1312 and one 2,000 liter tank (about 528 gallons) costs $375.
And at each of our four orphanages, we would like to purchase
- water filters which cost $250 each. We do not give the children tap water because it is a source of parasites and other diseases. Filters would save us money in the long run as we would not have to buy bottled water all the time.
**Answered prayer – funds for four water filters were donated!
Each of the above needs can be met (in part or in whole) by way of a tax-exempt monetary donation to Adoption Ministry of YWAM Ethiopia. If you’d like to help us in any way, please contact us at:
Thank you so much! I hope your Christmas shopping is a JOYFUL experience!